Although gripe water is meant to be relieve colic and gas, sometimes it doesn’t always do what you expect. For various reasons, babies may throw up after a dose of gripe water. So what can you do to avoid baby throwing up after gripe water?
- Offer the gripe water before a feed or at least 30 minutes after.
- Add the dose to your baby’s bottle if formula fed, to make it easier to swallow.
- Put the gripe water on the tip of a dummy/pacifier.
- Make sure baby is upright when you offer the gripe water.
- Offer half dose. It’s not unusual for parents to accidentally overdose their baby with more gripe water than needed.
- Check the ingredients and brand. As gripe water is not covered by any legal or medical guidelines and often not FDA approved, some brands contain ingredients such as alcohol which may negatively effect your baby.
- Check if your baby is suffering from reflux.
- Try other methods of relieving the colic, such as these 30 suggestions for relieving gas and colic.